Friday, July 24, 2015

Goals? I've Got Those!

Everyone has at least 1 goal, whether it's to quit smoking or take the trash out before the pick up comes. They come in all shapes and sizes and require varying amounts of effort to complete. Some are short-term, some may be longer. At the end of the day we all have some type of goal (or goals). The question is how and when will we accomplish them?

Today after hearing how in order to accomplish your fitness goals (but really this applies to any), you have to figure out your "Why". Your "Why" is the reason you are doing whatever it is you are doing. After that you are supposed to write it down where you can continuously look back at it as a reminder of why you started. In all of my years of goal chasing I have never done this and I really don't know why not. It's easy to get carried away and write down a lofty list of long and short term goals but it's not always easy to accomplish them. If you take the time to sit down and think about your "Why" for each goal perhaps we wouldn't leave so many unaccomplished. With that said, I'd like to take the time write a short list of my goals and my "Why".

Goals:


  • Lose 60 pounds before my wedding day
  • Lose a total of 150 pounds
  • Stick to our budget
  • workout daily

Why:

All of my goals correlate with each other. The first 60 pounds is so I can fit into a dress I bought a year ago that does not fit (It's also a good short term goal to keep me motivated). I want to lose weight so that I can be healthy for the family we are building. I want to stick to the budget to build a good financial future for our family and I want to workout daily to be fit, healthy, and strong for not only our family but myself. 

I've often heard that a good rule of thumb is to have attainable goals. Though I agree that they give you a good push, don't be afraid to have "unattainable" goals. Because who can really say you wont accomplish them? We don't have a crystal ball to see into the future. Go for whatever it is you want, for whatever reason and just be happy! Anyway, that's my two cents and you can take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment